PFC Ray Turner Murphy was born around 1922 in Tennessee, the son of Wade Hampton Murphy and Nellie Mae Johnson. Husband of Ruby Lucile Patterson. He enlisted at Fort Oglethorpe in Georgia on 3 October 1942. He was killed in action.
The Knoxville Journal, September 14, 1944
Pfc. Ray T. Murphy, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Murphy, of Dandridge, has been reported missing in action in France since July 4, the War Department notified his wife, Mrs. Lucille Patterson Murphy, August 8. Another telegram from the War Department September 6 revealed that Private Murphy had been killed in action. Mrs. Murphy and their only child, Wade Turner, make their home with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Patterson, of near Dandridge. A brother, Pfc. William L. Murphy, entered the service in February, 1942, and has been overseas since last October. He is in Italy at present.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 8 April 1922
- Date of death: 1 July 1944
- County: Jefferson
- Hometown: Dandridge
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 314th Infantry Regiment, 79th Division, Company K
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Deep Springs Cemetery, Jefferson County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Ray T. Murphy
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.