Robert Earl Swaggerty enlisted on June 23, 1943, in Fort Oglethorpe, GA.
Co A, 39th Infantry, Ninth Division
He was killed in action. Buried at Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, January 28, 1944
The third service son of Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Swaggerty has arrived overseas, and the other two recently received promotions. Pvt. Robert E. Swaggerty, 19, former Furniture factory employe here, has arrived in the European theater of operations. He entered the Army in July. Sgt. Charles F. Swaggerty, 26, has been in the Army three years, first serving in the Mediterranean area. He is now in the European theater, and was recently promoted to his present rank. Before entering service, Sgt. Swaggerty was a filling station employe here. Paul F. Swaggerty, 23, has been promoted to corporal in Australia after two years in the Army. He formerly worked at a Knoxville bottling Works.
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, May 28, 1948
Pfc. Robert E. Swaggerty, age 23, of 202 East Warren Avenue, was killed in action in France, June 17, 1944. Survivors; parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Swaggerty; one sister, Mary Elizabeth; two brothers, Charles and Paul Swaggerty of Knoxville. Services at Mynatt;s Chapel. Interment in Lynnhurst.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 September 1924
- Date of death: 17 June 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert E. Swaggerty
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.