Robert Greene was the son of George Greene and Annie Lou “Lulu” Rippetoe.
Private First Class Robert Greene, #34491506 US Army Air Forces, was assigned to the 1562nd Army Air Force Base Unit.
PFC Greene was killed in action on 22nd of March 1945. He is interred at Manila American Cemetery, B,8,116, Manila, Phillippines.
The Morristown Gazette Mail, 29 March 1945
Pfc. Robert Greene was killed in action on Biak Island, on March 22, his mother, Mrs. Lula Greene of route three, was informed today in a message from the War Department. Pfc. Greene was 24 years old, and was a member of the ground crew in the Air Corps. He entered service in December, 1943, and was sent overseas in August, last year. An older brother, William, is now serving with U.S. troops in New Guinea. Biak Island, where Pfc. Robert Greene was killed, is just off the north coast of Dutch New Guinea.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 12 May 1921
- Date of death: 22 March 1945
- County: Hamblen
- Hometown: Russellville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 1562nd Army Air Force Base Unit
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert Greene
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.