Robert Jennings Atchley served on the U.S.S. Chincoteague (AVP-24). He was the husband of Mildred Josephine Atchley.
He is memorialized at the Honolulu Memorial, Hawaii. He was killed in action on 17 February 1945 and officially declared dead a year one one day later on 18 February 1946.
Daily Post-Athenian, March 11, 1946
Reported killed in action – Robert Jennings Atchley, Machinist Mate 3-C of the Navy Air Corps, husband of Mrs. Mildred (Scott) Atchley and son of O.D. Atchley of Athens, has been officially listed as killed in action by the Navy Department. Atchley, 20, had been listed as missing in action since a bombing run on a Pacific area target Feb. 17, 1945.
- Rank: Aviation Machinist Mate 3rd Class
- Date of death: 17 February 1945
- County: McMinn
- Service Branch: Navy
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Robert J. Atchley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.