Rowdy (also spelled as Rouda) White Gentry was born in 1891 in Greeneville, Tennessee, son of Andrew Jackson Gentry and Temperance Franklin. Lieutenant Gentry went into his last action as Second Lieutenant. He was commissioned First Lieutenant just before, and his letter of acceptance was found in his pocket after his death. Lt Gentry was wounded in action on 31 October at Schelat in Argonne, France and died the same day.
2nd Lt Gentry was initially buried at the American Cemetery, West Flanders, Waereghem in Belgium. Buried at Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, TN, Plot 3.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 4 October 1891
- Date of death: 31 October 1918
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greeneville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company K, 363rd Infantry Regiment, 91st Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Meuse-Argonne
- Burial/Memorial Location: Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greeneville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Rowdy Gentry
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.