Roy Arvil Johnson was born 29 June 1915 to Henry Johnson and Maggie Davis. He married Mary Cecil McMahon in 1938.
He died of wounds 16 July 1944 in France
Buried at Black’s Cemetery, Hartford, TN
358th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division, Company D
Plain Talk and Tribune, May 3, 1948
The body of Pvt. Roy A. Johnson, 29, who was killed in the invasion of France in 1944 was returned to Newport Friday night on train twenty-two. Roy spent eight months in the service, two months of being overseas. He was wounded July 13 and died July 16, 1944. He served with General Patton’s third army, 358th Infantry, Company D, 90th Division.
He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary McMahan Johnson, Knoxville; father, Henry Johnson, Cosby; two sisters, Dorothy Johnson, Knoxville and Mrs. Annie Jenkins, Cosby; two brothers, Armon of Cosby and Homer, Baltimore, Md.
The body will be taken to his father’s home at Denton, Saturday.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 29 June 1915
- Date of death: 16 July 1944
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Cosby
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 358th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Black's Cemetery, Hartford, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Roy A. Johnson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.