Roy Tolley was born on 3 July 1924, the son of Eli Joseph Tolley and Minnie Elizabeth Byrd.
Died 11 August 1944
He is buried in the Tolley Cemetery, Fiddlers Branch and Old Clarktown Roads, in the Simerly Creek section of Carter County.
Private First Class
329th Infantry Regiment
The Johnson City Press, 9 July 1948
The body of Private First Class Roy Tolley, who was killed in action in France August 11, 1944, will arrive in Johnson City on Southern train no. 46. The body is to be taken to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eli Tolley, Hampton, Route 1. Funeral will be in Fairview Church, burial will be in the church cemetery.
Young Tolley, who was 20 at the time of his death, served in the infantry, having entered the armed forces March 16, 1943. He sailed for overseas duty in May, 1944, shortly before D-Day in France. He was a member of Fairview Church and attended Fairview School.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 3 July 1924
- Date of death: 11 August 1944
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Hampton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 329th Infantry Regiment, Company I
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Tolley Cemetery, Carter County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Roy Tolley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.