Samuel Hurshel Deakins was born on 12 August 1924 at Whitwell, Tennessee, the son of of George Venice Deakins and Beulah A. Hixson
Died 16 February 1945
Samuel Deakins was declared Missing in action as a result of the sinking of USS LCS(L) (3) 49.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 16 May 1945
Reportyed killed in action was GM3C Samuel Hurshel Deakins, USN, son fo Mr. and Mrs. George V. Deakins of Signal Hill, killed in action Feb. 16 at Marivelles Bay near Corregidor when his ship was sunk. His family was informed of his death on May 5. His sister is Miss Naomi Deakins of Signal Hills. He entered the service in May, 1943, and was employed by the Simplicity System Company before he entered the service.
- Rank: Gunnersmate Third Class
- Date of birth: 12 August 1924
- Date of death: 16 February 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS LCS (L) (3) 49
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga Memorial Park, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Samuel H. Deakins
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.