Sanford Gorden Roy was born at Chattanooga, Tennessee, the son of George Herbert Roy and Dora Rebecca Patton.
Aircraft B-24H with serial number 42-52185 was on an operational mission to Brunswick in Germany. The aircraft was hit by fighters at 1405 hours and crashed near Salzwedel in Germany.
Pilot, 1st Lt Joe A. DeJarnette
Co-Pilot, 2nd Lt Robert D. McKee
Navigator, 2nd Lt Francis E. Callahan
Bombardier, 2nd Lt John H. Harris
ROM, S/Sgt Ralph L. Mourer
Tail Gunner, Sgt Frank J. Vincze
Ball Turret Gunner, S/Sgt Hubert Yeary
Top Turret Gunner, Sgt Henry H. Allen Jr.
Right Waist Gunner, S/Sgt Sidney A. Johnson
Left Waist Gunner, T/Sgt Sanford G. Roy
Memorialized at Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
Picture from www.honorstates.org
- Rank: Technical Sergeant
- Date of birth: 21 March 1913
- Date of death: 8 April 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 732nd Bomber Squadron, 453rd Bomber Group, Heavy
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Sanford G. Roy
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.