William Roy Smith was born in Tennessee, son of Anderson Robert Smith and Mary Catherine Bryant.
Private Smith was Killed in Action in France.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 10 August 1944
Pvt. William Roy Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson Smith, Soddy, was reported killed in action in France on June 11, the War Department notified his parents. He entered the service in January, 1942, and went overseas in January, 1944. He is survived by three brothers, Pvt. Harold T. Smith, now stationed at Great Bend, Kan.; Pvt. George Smith, Camp Wolters, Tex.; Ralph Smith Soddy; four sisters, Mrs. Grave Varner, Soddy; Mrs. Anna Beck, East Chattanooga; Mrs. Sarah Gasaway, East Lake and Miss Mary Evelyn Smith, Soddy.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 17 June 1922
- Date of death: 11 June 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Ware Cemetery, Daisy, Hamilton County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William R. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.