Stephen Justene Torbett worked in the family business(greenhouse and plant farm) and graduated Mary Hughes High School, Class of 1961. Afterwards he continued working there until he was drafted into the United States Army in 1968.
Stephen’s the son of Farrell Justene Torbett and Anna Jane Glover. He was married to Jackie Hobbs. His brother Richard served in the United States Navy during the Vietnam War.
A bridge on the Pickens Bridge Road in Piney Flats that connects Sullivan and Washington Counties is named in Stephen’s memory.
Length Service 01
Unit D Company, 1st Battalion, 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division, USARV
Start Tour 16 November 1968
Casualty Date 14 August 1969
Age at Loss 26 based on date declared dead
Location , South Vietnam
Remains Body recovered
Casualty Type Hostile, died of wounds
Casualty Reason Ground casualty
Casualty Detail Gun or small arms fire
Vietnam Wall Panel 19W Line 042
Boones Creek Christian Church Cemetery, Boones Creek, Washington County, Tennessee
Fellow Veteran of 5th Div.
I served with the 5th Div. from July, 1968 to Jan. 1969. Just wanted to say May you Rest in Peace Red Diamond.
Friday, March 24, 2000
Photo courtesy; Tom Reese
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 24 March 1943
- Date of death: 14 August 1969
- County: Sullivan
- Hometown: Piney Flats
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Awards: Bronze Star with Oak Leaf cluster, Two Purple Hearts with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Boones Creek Christian Church Cemetery, Boones Creek, Washington County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Stephen J. Torbett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.