Enlisted on November 11, 1942, in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Pfc Steward (Stewart) R. Dickey was a resident of South Knoxville and was married to Miss Doris Moore. Prior to the war he was a Sales Manager for Millers Department Store. Pfc. Dickey was killed in action in Southern France. He was repatriated to the United States and funeral services were held April 30, 1948, at Berry Funeral Home. Burial in Knoxville National Cemetery.
Parents: Steward R. and Esta L. Dickey
Siblings: Morane Dickey, Nina G. Dickey, and Sarah M. Dickey
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, October 27, 1944
Pfc. S.R. Dickey, Jr., was killed in action Aug. 28, during the invasion of Southern France, according to a telegram from the War Department to his wife, Mrs. Doris G. Dickey, Fort Valley Road. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. S.R. Dickey Sr., 603 Moody Avenue. Pfc. Dickey, 22, had been in the service 21 months and overseas since April. He was formerly employed by Miller Store Co. His son, Stewart Ray Dickey III was born Sept. 4, one week after his death.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 27 August 1922
- Date of death: 30 August 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Steward R. Dickey Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.