Sylvester Norton was born on 19 September 1913, the son of David Norton and Sarah Hensley. He is the cousin of John A. Norton
He was killed in action on 17 April 1945 in Italy.
Buried at Union Chapel, Greeneville, TN
Private First Class
363rd Infantry Regiment, 5th Army, Company C
The Greeneville Sun, 20 November 1948
The funeral of Pvt. Sylvester Norton, whose body is to arrive in Greeneville will be held at Union Chapel. Full military honors will be accorded the deseased by the local VFW Post.
In addition to his parents, Mr. and mrs. David Norton of Chuckey, Rt. 3, he is survived by one brother, Vergie Norton, and three sisters, Mrs. Ossie Hammer, Mrs. Laura Copp and Mrs. Eula Hammer. Pvt. Norton was killed in action on April 17, 1945, in the push into the Po Valley in Northern Italy, where he was in combat for nine months prior to his death. He was inducted into the army on October 2, 1942, and trained at Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga., Camp white and Camp Adair, Oregon. He sailed April 10, 1944 from Camp Patrick, Va., and arrived at Oran, Algerie, Africa in early May. He was attached to Company C, 363rd Inf., Fifth Army.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 19 September 1913
- Date of death: 17 April 1945
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Chuckey
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 363rd Infantry Regiment, 5th Army
- Theater: e
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Union Chapel, Greeneville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Sylvester Norton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.