Thomas Hayes was born on 18 March 1924
He Died 24 July 1944
U.S. Marine Corps
Returned from overseas
Buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery, Hamilton County, Tennessee, Plot Y, 413.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 14 September 1944
Sgt. Thomas F. Hayes, son of Ira K. Hayes, 502 Tunnel Boulevard, was killed in action with the U.S. Marine amphibious forces in the South Pacific on an undisclosed date, his parents were notified by the Navy Department. A former employe of the Richmond Hosiery Mill, Sgt. Hayes volunteered for service approximately three years ago. He received boot training at Parris Island, S.C., amphibious training at Tampa, Fla., and advanced instruction at San Diego, Calif. He has been overseas 18 months and was a former student at Central High School.
- Rank: Chief Cook
- Date of birth: 18 March 1924
- Date of death: 24 July 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Thomas F. Hayes
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.