Junior Leo Thorpe was born 19 December 1921 in Claiborne County, TN to George Curry and Grace Thorpe. The family moved to work in Laurel County, KY in 1939
Junior enlisted in the US Army in 22 July 1942; he was a transport driver and laid communication wire in the 80th Signal Company, 80th Division.
Private Thorpe was killed in action November 16, 1944 near Lessay, France. His brother Everett Nathan Thorpe was lost at sea on the USS Indianapolis in 1945.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 19 December 1921
- Date of death: 16 November 1944
- County: Claiborne
- Hometown: Cave Springs
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 80th Signal Company; 80th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Hürtgen Forest
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Greenlawn Cemetery, Franklin, KY
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Junior L. Thorpe
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.