Virgil Dee Howard Freeman, son of Jordan Dee Oscar Freeman and Rillia Long, was accidentally killed in a bus accident Saturday night. The young man was coming home on furlough from Camp Jackson, S.C. to visit his parents. The bus by some means was hit by a freight car. He was buried at Holly Springs Cemetery Monday.
A large crowd attended the funeral of Junior Freeman, a soldier who was killed on his way home from an army camp to spend the Fourth of July. Burial was in the Dehart Cem., near the Holly Springs Church, the Rev. Frank Miller officiating.
Junior was only 18 years old. He was a volunteer. We are proud of boys like him who went to help protect our country. The family have our sincere sympathy.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 31 May 1922
- Date of death: 27 June 1941
- County: Monroe
- Hometown: Vonore
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 117th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division, Company B
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Holly Springs Cemetery, Holly Springs, Monroe County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Virgil D. Freeman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.