Virgil Raymond Seeber was born on 28 April 1916
Enlisted on September 16, 1942, in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Died 20 November 1944
Parents: Will B. and Annie Rainer Seeber
Siblings: Ruth and Will B. Seeber
Married Edith Woods on March 30, 1940. She died on 26 May 1942 at Fort Sanders Hospital at the age of 21.
Buried at Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
Technician Fifth Class
37th Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, Battery C
The Knoxville Journal, January 5, 1945
Tech. Fifth Grade Virgil R. Seeber, 29, was killed in action Nov. 20 in Belgium, according to a War Department message received by his father, W.B. Seeber, Route 2, Fountain City.
Technician Seeber had been in service 26 months and overseas 15 months. He had been stationed in Northern Ireland and England, and saw action in France, Germany and Belgium. He participated in the invasion of France, June 6, and had been awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service, and the Purple Heart for wounds received in action.
- Rank: Technician 5th Class
- Date of birth: 28 April 1916
- Date of death: 20 November 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Clinton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 37th Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: D-Day
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Virgil R. Seeber
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.