Pfc. William Roy Smith Jr., 20, husband of Mrs. Jewel Smith, city and son of William Roy Smith and Lillian Godfrey, died of wounds in Luxembourg. He was fighting with the infantry in Luxembourg when wounded on January 9.
He entered service May 1944 and went across in October. He was married in September, while on his only furlough. Besides his wife and parents, he is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Lela Robinson, Mrs. Annie Frank and Mrs. Blanch Fuller of Maryville.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 18 May 1924
- Date of death: 14 January 1944
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Lenoir City
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 26th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Clarks Grove Cemetery, Maryville, Blount County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor W. Roy Smith Jr.