Age 20. Volunteered U.S. Army February 25, 1941. Killed November 23, 1944 in Germany. Attended Stair Tech School, Baptist Church. Son of Mrs. Annie Horner, 2124 Linden Ave., Knoxville, TN.
Buried on November 10, 1948 in Knoxville National Cemetery (Section A Site 5865). Sgt Horner was initially buried at the American War Cemetery Margraten in the Netherlands.
The Knoxville Journal, 9 November 1948
Sgt. Walter M. Horner, 20, of 2124 Linden Ave., was killed in France Nov. 23, 1944. Survivors: mother, Mrs. Annie Horner; sister, Mrs. Helen Sands, both of Knoxville; brother, Calvin Horner of Nashville, Tenn.; grandfather, Green Pressley, Knoxville.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 17 January 1924
- Date of death: 23 November 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 8th Armored Field Artillery Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: aJesse Hicks
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.