Walter Raymond Harper was born 24 March 1893, Newport, Tennessee, son of Lucy L. Harper.
PFC Harper was initially buried at the Argonne, American Cemetery Romagne-sous-Montfaucon, Meuse in France.
He entered the army March 28, 1918, and was assigned to Camp Gordon for training and joined Company B, 327th Infantry, 82nd Division. Sailed with his organization to France on May 9, 1918. Engaged in St. Mihiel offensive and the Toul sector. He was killed October 15, 1918, by a German shell while he was recuperating in a hospital back of the battle lines. He died at the age of 25.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 24 March 1893
- Date of death: 15 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company B, 327th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: St. Mihiel
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Walter R. Harper
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.