Wilbert Frank Carmichael, Age 26.
Volunteered Marines on January 6, 1942. Participated in invastion of Guadalcanal. Killed in action on February 13, 1944, at Cape Gloucester, New Britain. Attended Asbury School, Presbyterian Church. Son of Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Carmichael, Route No. 8, Knoxville, TN.
Parents: Henry Horace and Lucy Blance Carmichael
Siblings: James H. Carmichael, Robert E. Carmichael, Juanita E. Carmichael, Rosabelle Carmichael
Cpl. Carmichael was repatriated back to the United States after the war and funeral services were held February 15, 1949, at Berry Funeral Home Chapel. Burial Asbury Cemetery, Knoxville. The John Lilly Detachment of the Marine Corps League was in charge of military honors at the graveside.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 21 August 1917
- Date of death: 13 February 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 1st Marine Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Guadalcanal
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Asbury Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Wilbert F. Carmichael
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.