William Hord Boyd was born onn 29 January 1918 to Alexander Boyd and Viola McCullough. His mother died when he was only a few months old and he grew up by his grandparents help.
He died non Battle 22 March 1944
Private First Class
The Kingsport Times, 9 April 1944 , Church Hill, Tennessee – PFC William Boyd, who became seriously ill on March 20, died March 22 in New Georgia Island, according to the message received March 28 by his father, Alex Boyd. PFC Boyd, who has seen three years and 22 days of service, had spent two years and 22 days overseas. PFC saw action in Australia, New Guinea, Guadalcanal and New Georgia Island. Surviving PFC Boyd are his father, Alex Boyd, step-mother Mrs. Alex Boyd; four sisters, Mrs. Ben Ladd, Mrs. B.E. Hall, Mrs. B.D. Arnold, and Mrs. Mack Sams, Church Hill and one brother, Private Andrew J. Boyd, United States Army.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 29 January 1918
- Date of death: 22 March 1944
- County: Hawkins
- Hometown: Church Hill
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Signal Corps
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Elm Spring Cemetery, Church Hill, Hawkins County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Boyd
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.