William Howard Burns was the son of Lawrence Franklin Burns and Nellie R. Boyd. Husband of Emma Lee Burns and father of Shirley Jean Burns.
His brother, Lawrence F. Burns Jr. served with the US Navy during World War II. He had two sisters, Gladys and Sadie.
Died 12 January 1945
Awarded the Purple Heart
Buried at Luxembourg American Cemetery, D, 6, 6
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 31 Jan. 1945
Pvt. William H. Burns, who was reported missing in action since Jan. 5, now has been reported killed i Belgium on Jan. 11, his wife, Mrs. Emma Lee Burns, Ooltewah, Route 1, has been notified by the War Department. The son of L.F. Burns of Chattanooga, Pvt. Burns had been overseas for two months. He has one child, a young daughter, Shirley Jean, living with her mother in Ooltewah.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 26 June 1921
- Date of death: 12 January 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Ooltewah
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Luxembourg American Cemetery, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Burns
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.