William Henry Carney, Jr. was the son of William Sr. and Nora Bell East Carney, Rt. 1, Dayton, Tennessee.
He was born 4 April 1919 in Dayton, Rhea County, Tennessee
He was killed when his ship, LST-523, hit a mine and sank off the coast of France 19 June 1944.
Awards Purple Heart posthumously awarded
He is listed on the Tablets of the Missing at Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France and on the American Battle Monuments website abmc.gov
-Submitted by Nora Carney Maeser, niece
- Rank: Gunnersmate Second Class
- Date of birth: 4 April 1919
- Date of death: 20 June 1944
- County: Rhea
- Hometown: Dayton, Tn
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: LST-523
- Theater: Atlantic
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Carney Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.