William Harry Kreis was born in 1912 in Tennessee. He was the son of William Levi Kreis and Jessie Lee Watson.
He enlisted on 24 February 1942 at Fort Oglethorpe in Georgia. He was killed in action in Italy.
The Knoxville Journal, 20 November 1948
PFC William H. Kreis, was killed in action, April 13, 1945, near Massa, Italy. The body arrived in Wartburg and was taken to the Schubert Funeral Home. Interment in Wartburg Cemetery with Brannon Kreis Post 49, American Legion, in charge of services at the grave. Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William L. Kreis, two brothers, Glen of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Clyde of Wartburg; three sisters, Mrs. John Phillips and Mrs. Boyd Redmon of Wartburg, and Mrs. Billie Melhorn of Oakdale.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 26 January 1912
- Date of death: 13 April 1945
- County: Morgan
- Hometown: Wartburg
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Wartburg Cemetery, Wartburg, Morgan County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Kreis
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.