William Henry Settles was born in Soddy, Tennessee to Oscar Henry Settles and Laura Kate Fritts.
William Settles was initially buried at Marigny Cemetery at Saint Lo, France and re-buried at Brittany American Cemetery, St. James (Manche), France, F, 12, 2
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 25 August 1944
Pvt. William H. Settles, son of Mr. and Mrs. O.H. Settles of Soddy, was reported killed in action in France on Aug. 3, his family was informed by the War Department yesterday. Pvt. Settles volunteered for army service in January, 1941, and had been overseas for more than a year. He had been in France for a month. His brother, James Robert Settles, is now taking boot training in the navy at Camp Peary, Va. Three sisters, Miss Catherine Settles, Soddy; Mrs. Elmer Weeks, Soddy and Mrs. Robert Spradling, Wenchester, Ind., also survive Pfc. Settles.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 23 September 1906
- Date of death: 3 August 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Soddy
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 33rd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Brittany American Cemetery, St. James (Manche), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William H. Settles
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.