William Johnnie Greer was born in 1924 to Dairace Calvin Greer and Ellen Sue Hammer.
He served on the U.S.S. LCT Flotilla six – Division 36. His muster roll shows that he entered the service from Chattanooga, TN.
Buried at the Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines, L, 1, 12.
The Knoxville Journal, January 9, 1945
Seaman First Class William John Greer, 20, of Route 4, Rutledge, died Oct. 4 of wounds received in action and was buried on an island somewhere in the Pacific the War Department has notified his parents. A farmer, Greer entered the service Dec. 17, 1943 and had been at sea nine months when word was received of his death.
His sister, Mrs. Eugene Hodge, lives at 112 Hoitt Avenue, Knoxville.
- Rank: Seaman First Class
- Date of birth: 29 October 1924
- Date of death: 7 October 1944
- County: Grainger
- Hometown: Rutledge
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: U.S.S. LCT Flotilla six - Division 36
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William J. Greer
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.