William Kenneth Smith was born 10 March 1924 to William Otie Smith and Ila Mae Bailey.
He was killed in action on Luzon on 30 January 1945
Buried at Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
Private First Class
27th Infantry, 25th Division, Company B
The Knoxville Journal, April 8, 1945
Memorial services will be held at Valley Grove Baptist Church for Pfc. Kenneth Smith, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Smith of Byington, who was killed in action Jan. 30 on Luzon.
In addition to his fiancee, Miss Juanita Grubb of Knoxville, and parents, he is survived by three brothers, Private Calvin Smith, now in Germany, Roy and Ray Smith of Byington, a sister, Ruth Smith of Byington, and grandmother, Mrs. W.W. Bailey Sr. of Fountain City.
Private Smith was a member of Valley Grove Baptist Church and was active in Sunday School and Training Union work. A graduate of Karns High School, he was president of the FFA at Karns in 1943. He entered the service August 7, 1943, and completed basic training at Fort McClellan, Ala. He went overseas in February, 1944, and was serving with an infantry unit when he met his death.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 10 March 1924
- Date of death: 30 January 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Byington
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Lynnhurst Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William K. Smith
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.