Sergeant William Lafayette Phibbs; birth March 18, 1895; death May 17, 1920; U.S. Army; served in Machine Gun Company 120th Inf. 30th Div.; may Army serial number 1319111 ; fought in trenches in France and was severely wounded; there was a hospital stay. Returned to his unit just prior to November 1918. Returned to USA and discharged – date unknown. He was admitted at the hospital on 8 February 1920. Sergeant Phibbs passed away May 17, 1920, due to tuberculosis.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 18 March 1895
- Date of death: 17 May 1920
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Machine Gun Company, 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: New Gray Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William L. Phibbs
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.