William Peet Hemphill, Jr. was born on 22 September 1913, the son of William Peet Hemphill and Alice Houston Campbell. Husband of Marie Hauer. Brother of Mrs. R.B. Darling, Hopewell, Va. Hempwell volunteered in the naval reserve in March, 1942, and received his radio training at New London, Conn. He is a graduate of the McCallie School and attended the University of Chattanooga.
Memorialized at the Honolulu Memorial, HI.
Submarine USS Corvina SS-226. His ship was commissioned Aug. 6, 1943.
Loss at sea November 16, 1943
Location Just south of Truk
Probably sunk by Japanese submarine I-176
- Rank: Radioman First Class
- Date of birth: 22 September 1913
- Date of death: 16 November 1943
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Corvina SS-226
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William P. Hemphill Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.