William Robert Barger was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee, the son of William Columbus Barger and Lillie Mae Lowe.
Gunner’s Mate 1c William Robert Barger served on the USS Cooper (DD695). He died 3 December 1944 and is listed on the Tablets of the Missing, Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 29 December 1944
Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Barger, 2706 Taylor Street, have been notified by the Navy Department that their son, GM1C William Robert Barger, is missing in action in an undisclosed theater of the war.
Barger enlisted in January of 1941 and has been in action in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters. He attended Central High School and is a member of King Memorial Methodist Church. He is the brother of Misses Margaret and Jennie Ruth Barger, Atlanta.
- Rank: Gunners Mate First Class
- Date of birth: 22 September 1919
- Date of death: 3 December 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Cooper (DD695)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William R. Barger
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.