Born 20 July 1922
Died 12 September 1944
Buried at Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Jasper, TN
41st Armored Infantry Regiment, 2nd Armored Infantry Division
S/Sgt Harris died at Veldwezelt in Belgium.
South Pittsburg Hustler, October 26, 1944
Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Harris received word October 1 that their son, S/Sgt William Ralph Harris, had been killed in action in Belgium Sept. 12. The deceased soldier has been in service four years and was overseas two years with an armored division. He received his traning at Fort Benning, Ga.
Besides his parents, he is survived by four sisters, Mrs. J.E. Forrester, Chattanoooga; Mrs. M. Saylors, Japser; Mrs. J. W. Crutchfield, Nashville,, and Mrs. W.J. Clark, Alabama City, Ala.; six brothers, Lawrence, J.C., Alvin, U.S. Army; F.R., George, and Charles Harris.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 20 July 1922
- Date of death: 12 September 1944
- County: Marion
- Hometown: Jasper
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 41st Armored Infantry Regiment, 2nd Armored Infantry
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Jasper, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William R. Harris
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.