William Sherdan Foster was born on 26 November 1922 at Haywood, North Carolina, the son of Narcisse Foster.
Died non Battle 17 June 1945
Private First Class
902nd Field artillery, 77th Division
PFC Foster is buried at Catons Grove United Methodist Church Cemetery at Cosby, Cocke County, Tennessee.
The Newport Times, August 29, 1945
Pfc. Wm. S. Foster was killed in action June 17, 1945 in an Okinawa action. He was the son of Mrs. Narcis Foster, Cosby, RFD 3, and entered the service in October, 1942. He served 18 monts overseas in the South Pacific are, and was first wounded in the Leyte action but soon recovered sufficiently to go back on duty.
The telegram announcing his death was received by his mother on Aug. 10 and stated that more details would soon be supplied.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 22 November 1926
- Date of death: 17 June 1945
- County: Cocke
- Hometown: Cosby
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 902nd Field artillery, 77th Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Catons Grove United Methodist Church Cemetery, Cosby, Cocke County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor William S. Foster
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.